We believe that privacy is fundamental to a well-functioning society because it allows norms, ethics, and laws to be safely discussed and challenged. We're now expanding to scale up our efforts in reclaiming the right to privacy, and we want your help!
You will be part of the app development team. The app team is responsible for developing the app on Android, iOS, Windows, Linux, and macOS. Your primary focus will be bringing new features to our Android app, which is written in Kotlin and uses many modern Android concepts. Our app and everything our team works on is open source and available on GitHub.
The role is hybrid remote with some days per week on-site in our office in Gothenburg, Sweden.
Day to day work on the Android app includes working with technologies such as:
- User interface developent using MVVM, Jetpack Compose and other Jetpack libraries.
- Connectivity management, for both network interfaces and the VPN tunnel, using APIs available in the Android SDK.
- Inter-process communication (IPC) and synchronization using the Messenger mechanism in Android.
- Foreign function interface (FFI) communication between the app written in Kotlin and the daemon written in Rust, by using the Android NDK.
Parts of the app is written in Rust, although it’s not required to be experienced with Rust. At Mullvad we encourage developing and exploring new skills, so you will have the opportunity to learn/work with Rust, Swift, TypeScript, and more to improve the app on other platforms if you wish.
We value quality over quantity and believe in good solutions rather than quick fixes. We also believe in the value of collaborating as a team and therefore value everyone’s opinions and ideas. It is important to us that everyone feels like a part of the team and enjoys coming to work. This is why we have company-wide free lunch every Tuesday, ice cream breaks, and after work activities.
You like to work and collaborate in a team and you bring your own ideas to the table! We believe that privacy is a universal right and we hope that you also have a curious mind for software security and privacy.
Our 3 wishes
- You are experienced with building Android apps in Kotlin and using modern Android technologies and frameworks (e.g. MVVM, DI, Material, Lifecycle, Coroutines, Flow, Compose).
- The team consists of people from various countries and backgrounds. You are therefore expected to have good communication skills in English.
- It’s a plus if you’re interested in or have experience with networking and/or security.
Our process consists of three separate interviews:
- A meet & greet with two to three team members to get a basic understanding of who you are and your knowledge, and for you to get a better understanding of us and how we work.
- This is followed by a technical interview.
- Last part is a conversation with our CEO and then contract signing.
Every now and then we accomplish something that we feel is worth blogging about. Here are some examples of blog posts related to this role: